Friday, September 23, 2011

Review of 9/19 - 9/23 in SS and English

Mr. Ezzard Social Studies:
We are currently studying about our 18th & 19th century immigration including famous stuff like Ellis Island, Angel Island, the horrible conditions of steerage (like 3rd class in the Titanic) and such.  Next week we will be discussing living in crowded cities like NYC and all the social problems associated with that.  There is no homework except to review your vocabulary terms for chapter 20 and be sure that you have taken some notes on question one from Section one of the focus questions.  (These vocab and focus questions are in the study guide I gave to each student.  Extra copies can be obtained from the links in the right hand margin of my blog (mrezzardblog.blogspot.com)

Mr. Ezzard English:
We finished our essay about something we care deeply about. Students used a special 'outline method' I taught in order to guide them through their five paragraphs.  Next week I hope to continue essay work.  I consider this especially important at the begining of the school year because essays may be required in other subjects and may show up on NECAP testing.  There is no HW, but if a student turned in an incomplete essay, he/she should come in prepared (and armed with ideas) for the quick completion in class.  I will ask some students to project their essays on the LCD projector to show the rest of the class.  We will point out certain things they did well and we may even give some constructive feedback for everyoe to learn from.